Wild Dolphin Adventure
Please do not contribute to the capture and captivity of dolphins for display and entertainment, it is a cruel industry. If you love dolphins, visit them in their natural habitat and enjoy the real Sea World! #emptythetanks
A collection of images from our Wild Dolphin Adventures |
$120 USD Adults
$75 USD Children (6-11)
*Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Pick-up and transportation Hotel-Marina-Hotel.
- Highly qualified & bilingual expedition guides.
- Lecture on dolphin ecology and conservation in Mexico.
- Bottled water, soft drinks, fruit & lunch.
- Guided “swim with dolphins” sessions.
- Snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel & fins).
- Guided snorkeling session on the islands.
- Hydrophone on board to listen to dolphin whistles!
Not included: Gratuities for captains & guides (reccommended).
Duration: 4.5 hours
Departures: Daily at 8 AM with a minimum of 4 adult passengers, from Marina Isla Mazatlan
SWIM WITH WILD DOLPHINS PROTOCOL: In order to minimize our impact on wild dolphin populations and guarantee your safety and the dolphins´, we follow a voluntary “code of conduct” and protocols for best practices when swimming with dolphins in the wild (these include other marine wildlife):
- We do not get in the water with the dolphins unless environmental conditions are optimal and dolphin behaviour is receptive to our presence.
- We do not swim with wild dolphin pods that include calves.
- We do not touch or feed the dolphins at any time, as we do not harass them or pursue them.
- Number of participants in the water with the dolphins at any given time is kept to 5.
- Sessions in the water with the dolphins are limited to 15 minutes or less, depending on dolphin behaviour.
- There may be up to 3 sessions, adaptive to dolphin behavior. You need to be 12 years or older to swim with wild dolphins. Children under 18 should be accompanied by an adult in the water.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be able to swim for at least 100 ft. and preferentially be comfortable in an open water environment.
- Be able to climb a side ladder to get back on the boat.
- Snorkelling experience not necessary but recommended.
DISCLAIMER: Up to 11 species of odontocetes or “toothed whales” have been documented to inhabit the coast waters off Mazatlan; and up to 3 species can be found all year during our expeditions: bottlenose, spotted and spinner dolphins. Each species are different in their characteristics and level of interaction with humans. So we adapt our approach accordingly. We have a sighting success rate of an average 80% throughout the year, with periods of up to 90%! However, we can not guarantee dolphin sightings on this expedition, and no refunds or additional discounts are applicable in such cases. What to bring and wear:
- Bathing suit
- Rashguard or Lycra shirt
- Cash to buy cool souvenirs or tip the crew.
- Good attitude!
Level of activity: Easy to moderate. In order to swim with wild dolphins you should be in good physical conditions, able to swim well and over 100 ft, preferentially be comfortable in the open ocean environment.
Minimum age: The minimum age to ride this tour is 6 years old. To swim with wild dolphins you should be 12 years or older. 12 to 17 years old should be accompanied by an adult while swimming with the dolphins.
¿Travelling with younger children?… Ask us about our private tour options.
Maximum capacity: Our main boat, the Onca Explorer II seats up to 8 passengers for this activity. If your party is over 8 people, please ask for our tour options on bigger boats. Other boats available seat 6 passengers.
School groups: Please ask us about our special rates for school groups.
Safety: For safety reasons this tour is not reccommended for expecting mothers or persons with heart conditions, neck and/or back problems.
Facilities: To ensure maximum performance during observation and research, this tour is conducted on open fiberglass boats equipped with outboard engines and MOST OF THEM without extra facilites on board. PLEASE ASK FOR BOATS WITH RESTROOM if needed. There are restrooms at the marina and you will have a chance to use them before coming aboard.
Seasickness: If you had suffer from motion sickness in the past, please take your precautions.
Did you know: Most dolphins can be identified individually by the shape and natural markings on their dorsal fins, just like our fingerprints. In Mazatlan our team has a catalogue of over 200 individual bottlenose dolphins that aids in studying their ecology and population parameters. [/list]
Send us a line in WhatsApp! +1 (669) 160.06.92
Let us know about any questions you may have about this expedition!
This post is also available in: Spanish